What is Craniosacral Therapy?
BCST is an advanced body/mind therapy that combines a Western scientific understanding of the body with mindfulness skills, a unique type of touch and an appreciation of the body’s ability to heal itself.
This is a totally non-invasive and at the same time one of the most powerful treatments to be found as it works from inside-out of the body. It is a wonderful and peaceful therapy for infants and adults alike, with traumatic background or not, for pain management and/or chronic illnesses.
The simplicity of the treatment is its beauty. The practitioner takes a position of being neutral and allows the process of the treatment to unfold. The practitioner is interested in facilitating the body towards deep intrinsic re-organization across the body’s tissues, its fluid matrix and its emotional layers, so that there is a holistic movement towards greater health. The therapy creates a safe space for traumatic experiences to emerge and resolve smoothly, without being overwhelming or re-stimulating.
The practitioner is highly skillful at listening to the body’s inherent health mechanism through touch and looks for and encourages the forces of health to set the priorities of the session. This brings about natural adjustments from within the body’s own resources. The therapy works so well because of the therapist’s ability to perceive through touch the state of the body’s anatomy and physiology.
Focus On Health
A core principal of BCST is that health is always present in every body. Sometimes when the focus has been on illness, pain or pathology, it is possible to lose a connection with the underlying feelings of health, comfort and ease. BCST can help you reconnect to the health and vitality inside you.
The therapy has its roots in the discoveries made by Osteopath Dr. William Garner Sutherland in the late 1800s. He developed an approach to Osteopathy known as “the Cranial Concept”. These original concepts have been refined and extended to become the Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy of today.
Biodynamic touch is a particular type of touch. It is light and reverential. There is never any pressure, manipulation or force. Your therapist is trained to create a calm, still and embodied presence. This type of touch and presence enables you to feel safe, supported and held. This sense of safety allows your brain to switch from flight or fight to rest and repair. It is in this state that healing and change can begin to take place.
What Makes BCST Unique?
- BCST is gentle, non-invasive and no force or manipulations are used in the treatment
- The therapy is client led, the treatment pace is set by you and the requirements of your body
- BCST acknowledges the whole person and that emotional, mental, spiritual and physical health are all interconnected
- The understanding of the body’s intelligence to heal and facilitate self-repair is central to the therapy
- Clients report feeling deeply listened to on all levels
- BCST is a progressive therapy that embraces the latest findings in medical science and the wisdom of traditional healing arts
- Biodynamic touch is a powerful tool to stimulate the brain to make new connections